An essential element of mission planning is to perform Intelligence Preparation of the Battlespace (IPB). This involves collecting all intelligence available in order to make the best planning decisions possible. We have supported the Navy in the development of the planning and decision support tools to enable this process. This included integrating, correlating, fusing, modeling and visualizing weather data to support mission planning. In one instance we modeled the ocean acoustic environment by integrating bottom depth, water temperature, and salinity to model the effects of the ocean on sound. This enables mission planners to identify areas where submarines can hide and mitigate transit risks.
- Mission planning and decision support tools
- Integrated weather data, generating/computing new data on the fly, and visualize that data within battle space for making better/smarter decisions
- Pull in bottom depth, water temp, salinity to calculate where the sound stops traveling in a water column to visualize it on an interactive web-based display…allowing decision makers to know either where to hide a sub or look for enemy subs.
- Plan flight and ship routes overlaid with weather data to plan the most optimal route saving cost, time and reducing risk. And apply analytics to the platform (aircraft/ship) to know if it can operate within the conditions (such as certain size ships can operate in 12 ft seas while others cannot).
- Leveraging weather forecast data to model optimal ship routes to minimize risk and fuel costs while maximizing travel time. Intelligence preparation and decision making